You might be wondering who is part of SAFA… Well, if you are a student in one of the many programs in the Faculty of Arts (except communications, english, and philosophy), then SAFA is YOU! According to our constitution, every student studying within the Faculty is officially a member of ARTS and membership sure does have its privileges. But before we take a look at our benefits and services, let’s take a minute to go over the organization as a whole.
The Students’ Association of the Faculty of Arts:
- is a non profit corporation ;
- includes over 4000 members ;
- is the biggest student association at the University of Ottawa
- is run by an executive committee of eight members and a board made up of each of our 13 departmental associations’ representatives.
This Board of Directors is responsible of overseeing and directing the business of the association, from the policy decisions to approving the budget. The Executive Committee is elected every year during the winter semester. The eight positions responsible for the association’s daily administration are:
- President ;
- Corporate Secretary ;
- VP Finance ;
- VP Communications, Anglophone ;
- VP Communications, Francophone ;
- VP University Affairs ;
- VP Social Affairs ;
- VP Charities ;
- 101 Week Coordinator ;
- Philanthropic Commissioner ;
- Social Commissioner ;
ARTS represents the interests of undergraduate students of the Faculty of Arts within the SFUO, the faculty, the University, the community and the provincial and federal governments. The students’ association also works to foster a sense of community through social and cultural events, while at the same time offering a variety of services to its members.